Saturday, December 24, 2011

The History of Mortal Kombat - Episode 03

Mortal Kombat Secrets has released the third episode in their retrospective on the Mortal Kombat franchise, entitled "There is no Knowledge that is not Power." This episode looks at Mortal Kombat 3 and its upgraded version, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, and the changes and effects this game had on the franchise in the year that became known as "The Year of Mortal Kombat."

You can check out the episode here or below:



Like the previous two episodes, there's a lot of nostalgia here for me. I was 14 when Mortal Kombat 3 released to arcades and I still remember my excitement! I also remember a lot of the magazine ads featured in the video and I of course own the home version of Mortal Kombat 3 for my Super Nintendo Entertainment System, which I spent far too many hours playing.

I was 15 when Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 was released and it was with this title that I started to leave the franchise behind with. I did not own a home version until the now discontinued Xbox LIVE Arcade release in 2006.

Regardless, the episode is a great watch for any fan of the franchise and being able to pause and read some of the court documents from the lawsuit Midway and co were faced with at the time is also a rare opportunity.

No comments: