Friday, October 14, 2011

Dead Space: Ignition (Xbox 360) Trial Impressions


I've been craving a new Dead Space experience as of late so I decided to try the free Trial of the Xbox LIVE Arcade game, Dead Space: Ignition. A prequel to the exceptional Dead Space 2, Dead Space: Ignition's story is told from the perspective of Frank, a repair tech, in the form of an interactive comic. As the original outbreak on the Sprawl occurs, you play a serious of hacking mini-games to progress.

To sum it up, I'm sorry I downloaded this trial. The intro motion comic showed promise of a cheesy but fun story, but once I got into my first hack the controls were simply horrible. You're basically moving a line through a maze to try and reach the end before AI counter agents beat you there and lock you out. There are obstacles in the way that you need to avoid and it's all very straightforward, save that the Left Stick handles horrendously for moving your way through said maze.

The odd thing is, I can't pinpoint exactly what's wrong with the stick as sometimes it felt too unresponsive and other times far too responsive. There's no way to tweak the sensitivity and as such trying to get through that puzzle was a horrendous burden as opposed to a challenging pleasure.

I attempted it twice and decided to call it quits, promptly deleting the trial of Dead Space: Ignition from my Xbox 360's HDD.

The cutscenes, as I mentioned, did show promise, and I'm sure I can find them on YouTube somewhere for my viewing pleasure.

No comments: