Saturday, May 14, 2011

Mortal Kombat Kollection Coming Later This Year


Well this is some welcome nostalgic news. Later this year (I've seen conflicting windows of Summer and Fall), Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment will be releasing the Mortal Kombat Kollection to Xbox LIVE Arcade.

Priced at 800 Microsoft Points, the collection will include arcade ports of Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat II, and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3.

While I already own the now discontinued Xbox 360 version of Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, I believe this will be the other two titles' first appearance on the platform, and it'll be the first time I've owned them in roughly 14 years. For Mortal Kombat, I actually only owned the Nintendo Game Boy version so I look forward to a real arcade port of the game. Mortal Kombat II I owned on the Nintendo Game Boy and later on my Super Nintendo Entertainment System, however being my favourite title in the franchise I'll be happy to own it again.

I do wonder how the Achievements will work and if each game will have its own twelve Achievements. If so, I wonder if Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3's will be the same as those of the previous Xbox LIVE Arcade version and if so, will they need to be earned again or not. Only time will tell.

Story first spotted on TeamXbox here, and there's also an article on USATODAY stating it'll also be released over the PlayStation Network, which makes sense.

Update: The official press release can be read on the official Mortal Kombat forums here. In brief, the Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection will be released on Xbox LIVE Arcade, PC, and the PlayStation Network late summer for 800 Microsoft Points or $9.99 (US) on the PlayStation Network.

While these will be faithful ports of the arcade originals, online play, leaderboards, and Achievements/Trophies will all be featured, though of course that's rather standard fair for any classic title today.

No comments: