Tuesday, April 19, 2011

BioShock 2: Minerva's Den Completed for the 2nd Time


Brilliant, simply brilliant. BioShock 2: Minerva's Den is the best single player DLC I've ever played, and I truly wish other developers and publishers would take notice of the value of this content. It truly is just short of being a proper expansion set.

I played through on Hard this time around and Harvested every Little Sister. Even on my second playthrough, "Minerva's Den" still took me about 10 hours to complete and it truly was harder on Hard, especially the early game when you're weak. Preserving ammo and using security against your enemies is the name of the game and the scarcity of resources in "Minerva's Den" is better accomplished here than in any other entry in the franchise.

One large mistake I made was trying to Gather Adam too early, which simply allowed the Spider Splicers and Fiery Brute Splicers to chew me up. I had to be patient and wait until I had collected some better weapons to create defences for my Little Sisters. I also only stuck to the Plasmids offered by Default and didn't buy anything new, though I did upgrade them, and I did purchase a lot of Tonics.

Weapon wise I really stuck to the Drill, Ion Laser (and used all the ammo this time), and I made great use of the Spear Gun this time.

The story of "Minerva's Den" is what I truly found most captivating. Such a sad and wonderful narrative with such a great twist, and one that surprisingly doesn't seem altered by your own actions towards the Little Sisters, a first for the franchise as well.

BioShock 2: Minerva's Den left me with such a good impression that I eagerly await going through it one last time, which I'm hoping to do in the next few months.

No comments: