Monday, July 05, 2010

Mass Effect 2 Second Playthrough Complete


This past Sunday I completed Mass Effect 2 for the second time, and it's truly one of the greatest games I've played on the Xbox 360.

I played a new Commander Shepard: Female, Adept, Renegade, and the whole playthrough took me about 43 hours. I also reached Level 30 and took Slam as my bonus Talent.

I really enjoyed the strong character development in the game, even from the Renegade side, and some of the choices you get to make are really, really wild. The story itself is weaker than the original, but the great characters really make up for it. I'm still surprised that the default Shepard seems to have taken a Renegade stance for the end of the original game, which puts humanity in a darker light for the sequel than I would have expected.

I also made use of a lot of the free items from the Cerberus Network, and played through on Veteran difficulty. Honestly, I didn't find it that much harder than on Normal, and the Cerberus Assault Armour really just saved me from having to spend a lot of Credits on armour additions. The Arc Projector was alright as well, but wasn't overly effective against the final boss; my sub-machine gun was surprisingly a better choice.

Regardless, Mass Effect 2 is an exceptional game with great characters, mission variety, and areas to explore. I eagerly look forward to an additional playthrough, which I'll likely do in a few months time.

No comments: