Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall now Freeware


Celebrating the 15th anniversary of The Elder Scrolls, Bethesda Game Studios has released its 1996 classic, The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall, as freeware.

You can download the full retail game from Bethesda, for free, right here, and make sure to _read_ the installation instructions found on this online .pdf here (just skip the legal mumbo jumbo).

I got to play with DOS again kids. DOS! My god, I remember playing so many classic games this way, not emulated of course, and what fun it used to be. Granted, gaming and interfaces have gotten a billion times better, and there's no real comparison, but what we owe to this classic style.

I tinkered a bit with the game, but couldn't get my character to attack, and I never liked the old style movement setup in the first two The Elder Scrolls, so I'll be giving it a pass, but man, the memories. Clunky, blocky, and complicated with poorly acted live action videos, this is what gaming was all about back in the mid-90's. Oh, and this is the only The Elder Scrolls title to feature nudity. Pixelated nudity, but there's bare boobies in there somewhere.

Too much nostalgia these days. Both for old games and boobies. Who doesn't like thinking about boobies?

No comments: