Saturday, May 03, 2008

Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox 360) Purchased, PlayStation 3 Version Outselling Xbox 360


I caved to peer presure today and picked up a copy of Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox 360). Aside from peer pressure, this is the biggest video game launch this year thus far, and with it already shattering sales records and tromping opening day records in any medium period, I figured I owed it to myself to simply check out what all the hype is about, even though I've never been a fan of the franchise itself.

One interesting thing to note is that it appears the PlayStation 3 version of the game is outselling its Xbox 360 counterpart, which is interesting, though really not surprising, news indeed. As a fan of the Xbox 360 who doesn't care for Sony's console at all, why would I _not_ find this surprising? For a few logical reasons, of course:

- The Grand Theft Auto franchise has always been naturally associated with the PlayStation brand, which would automatically lend it credit to Sony's platform. If you owned a previous PlayStation console, you'd be likely to continue the series under the same brand name.

- Title competition. Let me ask you this honestly, all fanboy zeal aside: What other game has presently been released on the PlayStation 3 that could come close to matching Grand Theft Auto IV in terms of hype and, according to reviews, quality? That's right. None. On the Xbox 360, however, there are a number of exclusive and cross-platform titles (thanks to Xbox LIVE) that can compete with Grand Theft Auto IV and steal some of its limelight.

Heck, I was actually debating getting Dead Rising over Grand Theft Autio IV, but hype won out. What options would I have if I owned a PlayStation 3? What alternative titles could really have swayed my spending dollars? That's right. None.

So I say congrats to Sony and their platform for finally having a cross-platform title that's selling better than its Xbox 360 counterpart. I say congrats to Sony for finally having a title your customer base actually wants to play, a title that has so much hype you'd simply need to own this game to help justify owning a PlayStation 3. 'Cause otherwise, what else is the PlayStation 3 good for as a gaming platform?

No comments: