Saturday, January 05, 2008

Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom Demo Impressions


Why do I do this to myself? Why do I play Japanese inspired games when a) I know I don't like them, b) they have no concept of western fantasy, c) nothing makes sense aside from the fact that you get to horribly dismember waves of enemies without taking a scratch.

Not that I have a problem with the dismembering part mind you; ripping through hordes of dumbass monsters is fun as anything and gore simply builds character, but I just can't bring myself to like the general over-the-top everything of Japanese media. It smacks of hardcore cheese when I like my media to be a lot more, well, realistic with a touch of flare.

Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom is one such title coming to the Xbox 360 and the Demo has been released over Xbox LIVE Marketplace. I downloaded the demo the other day and gave it a go today. There are several playable characters in this fantasy game but only one available for the Demo, an assassin, who's great with Katanas and really tears enemies apart.

In typical Japanese media fashion, the intro to the demo makes no bloody sense at all and your saturated with heavy guitar rock music, 'cause, you know, fantasy titles are so much more believeable with electric guitars. You start off with a quick tutorial learning to control your character and inventory and then you set out on a linear path and battle hordes (and I do mean hordes) of monsters who are conveniently standing along various points in the road and butcher them.

I pretty much have to stop here, as I can't write about this anymore. Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom is a game that goes so against my style, so against what I think gaming should be... it's the kind of game I'd expect to find on the PlayStation 3.

Pretty visuals though, but too damn Japanese for its own good.

No comments: