Sunday, August 05, 2007

Marathon: Durandal (Xbox 360) Demo Impressions


This past Wednesday, Marathon: Durandal, a classic shooter by Bungie, made its way to Xbox Live Arcade, and while I can still get into such classic titles as Doom, I could not get into Marathon: Durandal.

The game is actually a sequel, and you play the part of some kind of special soldier working with an advanced AI (named Durandal) against an unrelenting alien force. Sound familiar?

I only played the demo for several minutes, however I found the controls irked me a bit. The layout is very similar to most classic sprite-based shooters, however I did not like the way my character would "overstep" to get across gaps and pits.

While I did find it cool that you could at first battle with a few friendlies by your side, and I like how some of the enemies and weapons reminded me of Halo: Combat Evolved, I honestly could not get into Marathon: Durandal and recommend that you try before you buy.

Peronally, I'll wait for Doom II or Quake to get my classic shooter fix, should those ever hit Xbox Live Arcade.

No comments: