Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Next Elder Scrolls Title Wishlist


I've heard through the grapevine that Bethesda Softworks is done creating Expansions for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, and that while they may release additional Downloadable Content/Plug-Ins, Bethesda will now be focusing on the development of Fallout 3.

With the huge success of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, however, it's only a matter of time before Bethesda Softworks begins developing The Elder Scrolls V, and while I don't expect this title to be released until the next generation of consoles, that isn't going to stop me from publishing this wish list of things I'd like to see in the next The Elder Scrolls title.


My The Elder Scrolls V Wish List:

- We've already seen in detail the provinces of High Rock, Morrowind, and Cyrodiil, home to the Bretons/Orcs, Dunmer, and Imperials respectively. I'd love to see the next The Elder Scrolls game set either in Summerset Isle, home of the Altmer, or Black Marsh, home of the Argonians. I think either province would provide a lovely visual backdrop with unique architecture and design styles. Summerset Isle could provide a nice central story along the lines of the Mages and perhaps some kind of severe Magicka crisis, and Black Marsh might be able to provide a nice slavery and racism storyline.

- Mounted combat. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion introduced mounts which was a great gameplay experience, next I'd love to be able to fight from my mount and trample infantry under-hoof.

- Ability to join the Imperial Legion. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind had this "Guild," so imagine my surprise when I learned I was unable to enlist in the Imperial Legion in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, the capital province of the Empire itself! While granted, you can join the Blades, there's no additional Quests for them outside of the Main Quest that I'm aware of, and it just wasn't the same. I think it would be quite grand to play the part of Legionnaire, marching with troops, establishing camps, and dealing with enemy incursions in disciplined formations.

- Allies and Parties. Tamriel is a living, breathing world, and if I'm encouraged to be able to live another life in it, to do anything I wish, then why can I not make proper allies, friends, and relations, and have a Party that I can Quest with? With the ability to have a Party, and Mounted Combat, I'm thinking cavalry charges!

- Enhanced AI. For Allies and Parties, Bethesda will obviously need to rework the Ally AI so they aren't getting in your way and dying stupidly in every encounter.

- Leveling System. Many people had issues with the Leveling System of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, how the game world and all enemies leveled with the Player Character. I personally didn't have an issue with this unto itself, kept the game challenging, however what did bother me was how later in the game, low end enemies like bandits and highway men were sporting Glass or Daedric armour and weapons. If the world's basic rabble were so well equipped, why hadn't they started conquering the Empire? While I have no problems with enemies leveling with you, keep their equipment to a realistic representation of what they'd be able to possess.

- Marriage and Property. If I'm able to live another life, why can't I get married, and why can't houses be more than an oversized, novelty storage chest? Since The Elder Scrolls are Single Player games, it's not like I can show off my realty to anyone, so why can't I have a husband or wife to maintain a home, or to perhaps rent the house out to make additional profit? This is one aspect of the game world that Fable: The Lost Chapters did much better than The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.


And that's my wish list. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion provided one of the most detailed and intricate game worlds that I've ever had the privilege of exploring, but like anything else, there's room for improvement. When Bethesda develops the next title in the series, I'd love to see some of the above included.

No comments: