Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Halo 3 E3 2007 Trailer, Screens, and Limited Edition Console


E3 is under way, and there's lots of news to cover, and I'm going to start it off with a bang!

Microsoft and Bungie have released a gameplay trailer for Halo 3 which features nothing but Campaign footage. You can download it at the Xbox Live Marketplace, or on Bungie's official site here.

Bungie has also put up some Campaign screenshots here, and TeamXbox has their impressions of watching part of the first level in action here.

Microsoft has also announced a Halo 3 Xbox 360 Special Edition console which you can read about here, and you can read Bungie's thoughts on it here.

Now that the official links are out of the way, time for my thoughts.

The trailer looks beautiful and has some great action sequences. I don't care what anyone says, Halo 3 looks nice, and I know it'll be a blast to play. I'm also so psyched to see the Arbiter for the first time in this next-gen title, and it looks like he and the Master Chief will be fighting side-by-side a good bit. This screams co-op, of course, but I'm also hoping the Arbiter will have some solo missions of his own, as I really like his character.

That being said, however, the trailer itself is a bit disappointing. It really needed a lot more dialogue. The intro was nice, but then it faded to simply gameplay footage. One of the strong elements of the Halo franchise has been it's story, and since this is a Campaign trailer, it needed more than just footage. I was also disappointed by the music. Don't get me wrong, the track is great, but it's a remix of something we've heard all through the other titles.

While I can tell from this trailer that Halo 3 will be great, I can also say that the trailer itself could have been better.

As for the Special Edition Xbox 360, aside from the fact that it's a Pro system with HDMI, I'm not big on the colour scheme and I'd honestly pass on it. Nice marketing ploy though, but I think a Pro system with the Halo Faceplate, like I already have, looks nicer.

No comments: