Monday, May 21, 2007

StarCraft II Gameplay Video Thoughts


Now I'm more excited about StarCraft II. Not enough to run out and by the game on a whim, but I'm much more optimistic than I was two days ago.

The new gameplay video shows off a bunch of new units, as well as Blizzard's current process on the balance and counter system.

First off though, the game does look good; grittier than the screenshots reflect. It looks like StarCraft II truly is a game that looks better in motion than with stills.

The video had the player taking control of a Protoss force as he did battle on an orbital platform with Terrans and also a bit of Zerg.

We got to see some interesting new Protoss, Terran, and Zerg units, including the Protoss Colossus and Mothership, Terran Reaper, and Zerg Nydus Worm.

At present, the game looks like it'll be very big on a rock/paper/scissors counter system like Starcraft, and not a soft-counter system like Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos.

I could go on and on, describing the individual battles, the units and counters used, but in truth you're better off just watching it for yourself. StarCraft II is a title I will be watching, and we'll see how it turns out.

I will say the video brought me a strong feeling of nostalgia. Nuclear launch detected.

No comments: