Sunday, May 06, 2007

Broken Xbox 360 Vertical Test


Over the last quarter year or so, I kept my Xbox 360 horizontally in my TV's stand where I used to have my DVD player (since my Xbox 360 replaced that to, the slot freed up). It was in this spot and angle that my DVD drive decided to go kaput, so I decided to put my Xbox 360 on the top of the stand next to the TV and have it vertical; see if that would kick start the drive back into gear.

After quickly hooking it up, I popped in a game disc, it spun for a second, and then stopped even though the on screen display kept saying "Reading..." I ultimately got tired of waiting and ejected the drive, only to have it jam on me. It came out about a quarter of the way, stuck, and then pulled itself back in.

I then tried again after about 30 seconds, and it ejected properly.

So the results of the vertical test: My Xbox 360 no longer tells me "Unplayable Disc," instead it tells me it's perma-reading and jams. So yeah, my DVD drive truly is screwed.

When Microsoft sends me that refurbished unit, I think I'm going to keep it in that vertical spot. Better ventilation there.

1 comment:

Flame_Kettle said...

Good luck, keep us posted,