Sunday, February 11, 2007

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (Xbox 360) Purchased


I gave into nostalgia earlier today and purchased Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (Xbox 360) from the Xbox Live Marketplace. It's been about 12 years since I played this at the arcade, and I was getting out of fighting games around the time of its release, so I didn't play it too much (Mastered Mortal Kombat 3 on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, though).

I'd forgotten just how much fun and also how cheap Single Player Mortal Kombat is. I haven't been able to win a tournament even on the Novice difficulty yet, though I did make it all the way to Motaro, the second last boss. I've mainly been playing as Scorpion, who, along with Sub-Zero and Reptile, was always my favourite of the series; he's just so tragic and vengeful, a nice anti-hero.

I'd forgotten how after several rounds, the computer gets extremely cheap with its throws and seems to magically know just when to dodge, block, or counter anything you do. Somewhat frustrating, but for its cost and cheap entertainment it's still fun. I've already managed to rack up 5 Achievements with the game. I have had an issue with getting certain special moves to work, however. I find it very difficult to pull of Scorpion's Teleport Punch, for example, and it's simply Down, Back, High Punch, but he often will not do it. Things like that have actually cost me matches, though perhaps I'm just not doing them right. I have yet to complete a single Finishing move though...

Anyway, now all I need is a second Controller so I can unlock Classic Sub-Zero and Ermac, two characters I really want to play as. As you can guess, I have a thing for the universe's ninja characters. It's their sexy masks, I just can't help myself.

No comments: