Sunday, February 18, 2007

Doom 3 (PC): Great Engine, Poor Pacing


Earlier in the week I got around to finishing Doom 3 (PC) for the second time, and while the Doom 3 Engine is beginning to show its age, it still features the best lighting I've ever seen in a game engine.

The problem with the PC version is just the bloody pacing. My God does it drag. There's too much back and forth, too much with the same cheesy monster closet over and over. While it starts off well enough, it really lacks any intensity through the bulk of the game. Great sound mix though.

Basically, the Xbox version got it right, actioning up what needed extra action and cutting out so much filler that just bogged things down.

I doubt I'll be going through the PC version a third time unless I get really bored.

No comments: