Monday, January 01, 2007

Top 3 Games I Missed Out on from 2005

Since 2006 sucked ass for great new video games, here's my Top 3 Games I Missed from 2005:

3) Kameo: Elements of Power - One of the Xbox 360 launch titles, I missed out on this one simply because I didn't have an Xbox 360. Kameo: Elements of Power is a title thats been in development for a while and changed between 3 different consoles during this cycle. The end result is an enjoyable Disney-ish fantasy adventure in which you control the Elven Princess Kameo as she seeks to collect the Elemental Warriors that she can transform into so she can rescue her family and defeat the Trolls laying siege to her kingdom. Kameo: Elements of Power is a beautiful game with a great sound track, who's only major short-comings I'm finding to be are various controls and some repetitive gameplay. The experience is still enjoyable, however, and I'm nearly finished my first playthrough.

2) Quake 4 (PC) - The reason I missed out on this title was because my previous PC didn't meet the requirements to play it and I didn't own an Xbox 360 for that version. Quake 4 is a great, fast-paced, and simple first person shooter. The game pics up the story where Quake II left off and continues humanity's siege of the Strogg's home planet of Strogos. You play as Mathew Kain, a member of the Elite Rhino Squad that partakes in many important missions critical in furthering the war against the Strogg. Powered by the Doom 3 engine, Quake 4 looks great and also features some great audio. Weapons are powerful sounding and the music kicks for the war theme. Though the gameplay is pretty standard shooter fair, it's still very enjoyable due to it's hectic, fast paced action and decent variety of enemies. Your squad mates who fight along with you are often useful as well and add to the fun of the game.

1) Fable: The Lost Chapters (Xbox) - I still can't believe I passed this one up, and I'm glad I gave it a second chance. Fable: The Lost Chapters is one of the best action RPGs I have ever played bar none. While the story itself is weak, the living world of Albion and the amount of options you have as the player character just blows my mind. I loved just sitting around and fishing, screwing my wife, renting out houses, and exploring the land, all in addition to normal Questing. The game's dry sarcastic whit matches my own style of humour perfectly, and as such I was laughing my ass off at many points throughout the game. Fable: The Lost Chapters is also the kind of game that you can play through multiple times and enjoy different outcomes to many situations. I'll be starting my second (and Evil Moral Alignment) playthrough soon on my Xbox 360, so the game'll look even nicer than the first time. I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel witch will hopefully be released later this year.

No comments: