Sunday, January 07, 2007

Gears of War: Limited Collector's Edition... in French???


Last weekend the Staff rented Gears of War, and he was going all ape-shit over it, so I started thinking about renting it to. When I went to BlockBuster, however, they were all out and so I went home and noted that ActionTrip named Gears of War their 2006 Game of the Year. Since I tend to trust ActionTrip with their generally impartial reviews and staff on crack, and also seeing how they're mainly a PC gaming site, I decided what the hell. Thus, I ordered the Gears of War: Limited Edition from Best Buy.

The package arrived on Friday and I opened it up and noted how cool the Collector's Tin the game is packaged in is. I then turned to the Tin over to read what was on the back and realized that something was wrong... I couldn't read a single thing on the Tin save the Gears of War title: it was all in French. Best Buy, in its infinite wisdom, decided to send me the French version of the Gears of War: Limited Edition.

Now, the irony is that I'm half French and speak next to none of the language. So after verifying the exchange policy and _not_ opening the product, I stood in a 40 minute post Christmas customer service line to get my proper English copy.

I must say that, while so far no Halo, Gears of War is a pretty cool game. The Art Book that comes with the Limited Collector's Edition is cool and seems to flesh out the story a little better than what's presented in game. The game itself looks very nice and has some cool audio. I'm loving the concept of having to constantly run and take cover while popping shots off in between, definitely a different style of combat than I'm used to. The only thing I need to do is really get used to the controls.

I've had it happen several times where I was using "A" to perform a certain action, but it ended up performing something completely different. I've also just started getting used to throwing grenades, and they're coming in quite handy.

The only other thing I've had problems with is the Chainsaw melee. I've gotten it to work a few times, however mostly when a Locust has gotten in close to me and I tried to cut him up, Marcus Fenix would just stand there all stupid like and, well, die. This frustrated me a lot yesterday, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Anyway, Gears of War seems to be a really cool game, and probably one of the most interesting titles available on the Xbox 360 right now.

4 comments:

Flame_Kettle said...

The Staff rented it last weekend? I must of missed the post they made reviewing the game,

I really like the game too, but I haven't had a chance to play it much,I prefer playing it at night when the kids are in bed. also my buddy came over one night and we played in Co-op mode, that was pretty cool.

Juxtapose said...

Alas, for the Staff of Arbiter's Judgement is rather lazy in the ways of blogging and posts little.

Co-Op is something I'm interested in trying in the near future to, though after I complete Single Player.

Telly said...

Ah, but you see: We, the Staff (TM) tend to blog from afar. We rented said game, We piqued fearless leader's interest, Fearless Leader posted. You could say We are the finger that flicks the domino...

-The Staff

Juxtapose said...

That's exactly what I said. You're lazy.