Sunday, November 05, 2006

New Browsers


Recently, both Microsoft and Mozilla have released new versions of their popular web browsers, Internet Explorer and Firefox respectively. I've spent this weekend tinkering with both pieces of software, and in brief here's my impressions:

Internet Explorer 7: Simplified and streamlined interface, however the bulk of its features that I've bothered with are simply things I've already experienced with Firefox 1.x a year ago. It's a free update, and if you're intent on using Internet Explorer as you're primary browser I recommend it due to it's enhanced features (tabbed browsing, phishing detection, etc.) and increased security (though it's already been cracked), though there's really nothing special about Internet Explorer 7. I believe it's only available for Windows 2000 and XP, however.

Firefox 2: Aside from phishing detection and some minor improvements with tabbed browsing, the biggest thing I've liked about this new version is the spell checker as I type (or blog). Otherwise, also not much I care over the original Firefox, however since Firefox is my preferred browser to begin with this isn't a bad thing as if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I recommend this browser to anyone, and insist upon its use for Macs (much better than Safari).

Overall, however, net browsing is still net browsing. There's hordes of crap and pr0n, and about 1% useful information.

No comments: