Sunday, October 29, 2006

Star Wars: Republic Commando (PC) Demo Impressions


I got bored earlier today and decided to download the PC demo for Star Wars: Republic Commando. I own the Xbox version and have played through it four times, so I have no intention of going out and buying the PC version, however I felt like seeing what the enhanced graphics would look like.

Looks nice.

As is to be expected, the PC version of the game definitely looks nicer than its console counter-part. Character models are crisper and more detailed, there's better lighting and fog effects, and I'm not sure if it's due to the smaller monitor size as opposed to a TV or the closer proximity of the player to the PC monitor, but the HUD, even though looking identical in terms of layout, actually gave a much stronger feel of actually "being" in Boss' helmet; the helmet effect was great and even slightly claustrophobic.

Generally speaking, with the exception of faster aiming with a keyboard and mouse, I found the Xbox controller actually handled the game better, however that could also be just because I'm so bloody used to it now.

The PC demo takes place towards the end of the game and is the beginning of the Kashyyyk campaign in which Delta Squad is sent to locate and rescue the Wookie's leader Tarrful. You must infiltrate a Trandoshen slaver camp while effectively using your squad to achieve your objectives.

Star Wars: Republic Commando is a really fun, intense shooter, and I recommend you give it a shot if you haven't tried it out yet.

No comments: