Sunday, August 20, 2006

Pet Turtle Getting Better


Normally, I keep Arbiter's Judgement on topic, mainly covering video game related topics; however I'm going to digress a little bit with this post.

I have a pet turtle, who has been with me for nearly 15 years. Typically she's very active at this time of year, and her mannerisms are set and very predictable. However last week, literally over night, she got very lethargic, didn't want to eat anything, wouldn't pay attention to anyone, and simply slept either under water or on her floating raft.

This went on for over half a week, and I must say that I was very worried, thinking perhaps my long time pet might actually pass on. On Friday I tried rousing her by presenting her with some food, but that was a no-go and only deepened my concern. Yesterday, however, I refilled much of her aquarium with water, and that seemed to spook her a little, enough so that she jumped into the water.

Afterwards, I immediatly started feeding her, and thankfully, she began eating and ultimately finished off a full meal. Going into today, she's acting more or less normal for this time of year, and I'm quite relieved.

About a week prior I fed her some minnows, and the only thing I can think of, since that was the only recent change in my treatment of her, is that she got some kind of food poisoning from them.

Regardless, I'm happy my pet turtle is recovering, and if the life expectancies I've read about are correct, she may still outlive me.

No comments: