Sunday, August 27, 2006

Natural Selection and Fate


I had to run to the bank yesterday, so I left my house and drove onto one of the main streets I take. As I reached about 70 km/h, a dove decided it would be a great idea to simply land right in the middle of the lane I was driving in just ahead of me and stand still.

Seeing as how there was another car to my left, well, basically dove went splat. I herd the thump and saw a cloud of feathers pop up _in front_ of my car, and saw the limp body in my rearview mirror a second later.

I felt real shitty about this, however the whole incident got me thinking: I'm not that kind of man that believes in random chance. I believe that everything happens for a reason, and that everything that does happen occurs because it is meant to happen. I'm not a religious man, mind you, I simply believe in the general principals of cause and effects; action and reaction.

For this dove, I had to leave my house, turn onto that road, and be driving at that speed at that exact moment for it to have been gushed by my car, a moment earlier or later would have resulted in a different outcome, so basically, that dove was meant to get squashed by my car.

Then there's also natural selection to think of. Anything stupid enough to land and stand still infront of a vehicle moving 70 km/h is just purifying its species' gene pool with the result.

Now if only those several feathers stuck to the bottom of my car would come off...

No comments: