Sunday, July 09, 2006

Spider-Man 3 Teaser Trailer Impressions


At present, I still can not get the Spider-Man 3 Teaser Trailer to stream from Apple's own site, however I found a perfectly good QuickTime version at IGN FilmForce and I must say it's looking pretty good.

It looks like they're taking the alien costume path from the mid-'90's cartoon series; where the symbiote tries to bond with Peter Parker, and in the process it begins to affect his mood, making him more aggressive, angry, and ultimately leading to an idendity crisis between who he really is.

They show a lot of shots from a church, so I imagine the film will end with him "killing" the symbiote with the church's bell, since the symbiote is vulnerable to intense sound. Though I'm extremely happy to see the symbiote in the films, I must voice my dissatisfaction at the fact that in Spider-Man 3, it seems nothing more than a complete black and white copy of his pro-American suit, and that's bullshit. I think they should have stuck to the classic black costume look, with it being pure black with the large, white spider logo that stretches from chest to back.

The primary villians in the film seem to be Sandman and the second Green Goblin, Harry Osborne. I was never big on Sandman, though the teaser shows that he'll have some great special effects, and the villian I'm really looking forward to is the return of the Goblin. After watching the teaser closely, however, it looks like Harry doesn't even bother to wear a mask while acting out his new found role, which I must admit is quite disappointing. The Goblin just isn't the Goblin without his mask, however if the drama is there, than I should be able to overlook this.

Another major gripe I have is the presense of Gwen Stacey. In the comics, Gwen was Peter's first true love (MJ was dating Harry at the time), and it was her that the Goblin threw from the bridge (like he did with Mary Jane in the first film) and in his attempt to save her, Spider-Man killed her. This was a major, traumatic moment for the character that was not possible with the way the films developed, and to have her in the main story now just doesn't sit right. Peter got Mary Jane at the end of the last film, so why back track through the main comic story line so much? It's not like the second Goblin can throw Gwen off the same damn bridge (please, let's hope they don't rehash that), and if they're looking for a conflicting romantic interest, they should have used Felicia Hardy/Black Cat.

However, the last two films have indeed been great, and aside from some costume design gripes, I should keep faith and wait to see the final product myself. One thing's for sure, May 2007 will see the origins of Venom, so here's hoping they don't confine the Spider-Man films to a simple trilogy.

No comments: