Monday, July 31, 2006

Humble Howard Fired from Mix 99.9


For over a decade, I've been listening to Humble Howard on Toronto radio morning shows. Originally, he was on 102.1 The Edge with his long time friend, Fred Paterson. Then they moved to Mojo Radio (which did suck, by the way, and is now this), and finally to Mix 99.9. They were The Humble and Fred show, they were known all over Toronto, and they were good fun to listen to in the morning, with silly but not dumbass humour.

Last August, Fred mysteriously disappeared (he was let go), and the show became the Humble Howard Morning Show. Well, since Howard was still on the air, I kept listening to Mix 99.9 in the mornings.

A few weeks ago, Mix 99.9 announced the Mix Summer Vacation, where they give their DJ's a few weeks off and play listener requests to fill the void. Right when I heard this, I suspected something was up, seeing as how a) no one ever gives their entire staff a few weeks off at the same time and b) this happened around the time Humble Howard was supposed to come back from vacation.

Well, my feelings were correct, and Howard, along with his morning show staff, Judy Croon and Bingo Bob, have been fired from Mix 99.9. I found this article printed on the National Post's web site, where Howard discusses the experience, and it's an insightful read on how this sudden turn of events affected both him and his family.

Howard got the call that he was canned mid-way through his vacation, which is a real low way to let someone go. I for one am not happy with how Mix 99.9 handled this, and I have no desire to listen to their new upcoming morning show DJ's, Mad Dog and Billie, who I vaguely remember from some other radio station in the distant past. And they sucked.

I doubt he'll ever read this, but I just want to thank Humble Howard for all those years of entertainment that he provided every morning, and I hope that things work out for him in the days ahead.

Thank you Humble Howard, and it looks like it's time for me to find a new radio station to listen to in the mornings.

11 comments:

M-M-M-Mishy said...

I think this sucks too. Bring back Humble Howard!

And you're right. Mad Dog and Billie are terrible. So terrible that they've been fired from several Toronto radio stations. Plus, I refuse to listen to someone named Mad Dog.

Have you found a new radio station yet? I'm at a loss. The Edge in the mornings is too much (Dean is racist, sexist, homophobic, etc), Roger Rick and Marilyn put me to sleep, and Q107 is ok once the morning gets started, but waking up to Poison or Led Zepplin can be a little jarring. Maybe JackFM?

Juxtapose said...

Well if I were Humble Howard, I doubt I'd want to go back to the radio station that canned me. My hope is to one day see the return of the Humble and Fred Show on another, less crap-pop filled radio station.

At present, I have not found a new radio station, however Q107 and JackFM are my top choices at this point. For the Edge, I used to listen to them all the time back in my teens to early twenties, but then they started playing a lot of crappy hip-hop rock, as I call it. The Dean and "The Show" came, which is utter garbage, and finally they started playing EminEm (or however he spells it) on a "rock" station. Sorry Edge, but you sold out so get out. As for Chum FM, I don't even need to begin going on what's wrong with Bell Globe Media's newest acquisition.

I checked out your blog as well, which I liked a lot. Very detailed, well structured posts.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

People still listen to the radio? I vaguely remember the radio from my teenage years. :)

Anonymous said...

I've been listening to Humble Howard since it was CFNY, and used to see the guy in the morning having a smoke outside the studio on Yonge Street at the Eaton Centre.

I listened to one segment of Mad Dog - they do exactly what I hate about Roger, Rick and Marilyn - too much laughter! It sounds like a laugh track at times - folks the jokes aren't that funny, stop pretending to be laughing so hard you're rolling on the floor!

I haven't found a morning program that is both intelligent and plays reasonable music. CBC Radio One is good but I'm not interested in hearing the daily "local musician's world music" song.

I want the 'Spirit of Radio' back. Something with some variety (like old Jack), a bit of banter (102.9 out of Hamilton), a few funny segments(CHUM) and the odd interesting guest (CBC). Am I the only 30 something that wants this?

Anonymous said...

I listened to Humble and the gang via the internet in Scotland and I can't believe whats happened, I actually emailed the station to find out when he'd be back and got a very glibe response saying 'All the DJ's are back'....I'm shocked they would fire the best DJ's (Howard, Judy and Bob) and go with these 2 wierdos they have on now....are they suppose to be funny cause I have to tell you they're NOT!!! I find them very irritating. I won't be listening to 99.9 any longer, I'll stick with Q107 and Jack

Anonymous said...

Mix 99 is a lame a** station anyhow. I couldn't listen to it even with Humble and Fred on there. Humble can do much better.

Anonymous said...

I used to listen to CFNY in my teen days. Listening to Humble and Fred was great to wakeup to during those days. Played good music. Then they moved to Mojo Radio and had to listen to a new guy who was not funny. He was awful and irratating. The music got very noisy. I finally found Humble and Fred on the Mix. Great, started to listen to them. Fred was gone. Now Howard is gone. The Mix is not great to listen anymore. I dont like the new DJs Mad Dog and Billy, they are awful. Now I have to look for a new radio station. This sucks. Where you are Humble Howard, it was a pleasure always listening to you.

Siva

Anonymous said...

Been listening to Humble since eary days at CFNY. Followed him and Fred over to MOJO (boy that gig sucked ass bigtime)and found them at Mix. I had 5 of the 12 stations preprogramed in my car to 99.9 so I didn't have to look while waiting for my coffee at the Timmy's drivethru.
To Humble I miss you Fred, Judy and even Bingo Bob, I sincerly hope that you pickup a new gig on XM or Sirus No commercials all Humble and Fred.

Anonymous said...

Look guys, Bumble and Dead haven't been significant since Henry Blake left MASH. 2 really bad radio dudes doing fart jokes for 17 years? Gee what a shock they got canned.

Anonymous said...

You are the one who is insignificant. Cant even leave your real name but you can surely dish out the dirt. When you are ready to come out then we can take your comments to heart. Got something of value to say....then stick by it you coward. Bumbles wife!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I went to the same high shcool as Humble and it was by coincidence many years later when I moved to TO that I ran into him again via the airwaves. I was one of thsoe alternative music fans so CFNY was the only place to get my fix of REM, Cure, Clash, English Beat, etc - back when all that was considered alternative). CFNY introduced me to the Humble and Fred show - and it was great! I listened to them for years, albeit it briefly whilst they did that MOJO gig (I had to have my music after all). And THEY WERE THE ONLY REASON I listened to 99.9. They were hilarious. I agree with other posters here, that the current hosts of that morning show sound like a couple of idiots with their laughter being definitely way too fake and over the top. They are doofuses (sp?). Humble and Fred were genuine all the way. I'm glad to hear Humble is back on the air, because he is, without a doubt, one of the best morning radio personalities in Canada. Fred, if you're out there, you are missed also, and hope you are doing well.