Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Cheap Official Sword Mount


So, if you've been reading my blog at all, you may know that I own a sword; this sword as a matter of fact (Morthoseth - Sword of Shadows).

Now, when I first purchased it, I wasn't sure what the best way to mount it would be, so I looked around, and the best thing I found was a cheesy plate wall hanger. Though my sword hung on the wall vertically, it didn't look so hot seeing as how it was, you know, on a plate hanger.

Over the last 3-ish years, I've been looking on and off for something better, a real sword wall plaque, and finally I found one. My sword is by United Cutlery, and I found an official United Cutlery Sword Plaque for about $40.00. We'll I bought the thing, and it stunk. My sword started to bend the metal hooks down, and the wood was so cheap it was already scratching.

I ultimately decided to return the plaque, however not before I had a revelation. I was looking at the anchors I installed to secure the plaque to the wall, and figured why don't I just screw in the metal hooks directly without the plaque. Not only did it work, but it looked great! So the next day I returned the damn plaque and got two anchors and hooks from Home Depot for about five bucks.

The whole point to this little ramble? Aside from finally cluing in on how easy it is to mount a sword, I also found the next sword I want to buy (the bottom one in the link and at the top pic). It's called Avaquar, and part of the same Kit Rae series. Beautiful, isn't it. Now, I don't know when I'll buy the thing, probably a while from now, but I honestly think this one would be more comfortable and easy to wield than my present long sword, seeing as how it's about 10 inches shorter.

No comments: