Saturday, December 10, 2005

Books Detailing the Development of the Big Three


I was at Chapters today picking up a gift for someone when I stumbled across Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar, which is a book that details the process of creating Half-Life 2 from conception to release. I picked it up and began skimming it and found myself rather interested.

The copy on hand was in poor condition, so I came home and decided to order it online, along with The Art of Halo, which details the creation of Halo 2, and The Making of Doom 3, which obviously goes into the creation of Doom 3.

While I've read novels based on games before, I've never picked up "making of" books for videogames that detail their creative process and technological advancement.

Anyone who's been following my blog for some time knows that I consider the above games to be the "Big Three" of the last half of '04, and you also know that for roughly six months now, I've planned to write an editorial comparing these three blockbuster titles once they were all on a comparative platform (which came to pass mid-last month with the release of Half-Life 2 on the Xbox).

Because of that interest, I think the above books will be a worthy read, and I am hoping to write up that editorial late this year to early into the new year.

No comments: