Sunday, July 10, 2005

Vacation Over

Well it's been a great week off, but all good things... Still, I wish I had another week off.

This vacation was very short notice for me, and since everyone else was still working through the week, I did most of the interesting stuff on weekends. One thing I did do this vacation was watch a shit-load of movies.

Was supposed to play poker on Canada Day, but that never happened so I ended up watching Resident Evil: Apocalypse instead. If you want your IQ to drop to the level of the zombies in the film, then watch this film. I lost count of the number of plot holes and character development problems featured in it, and am glad I didn't pay to see it. It was cool to see Toronto blow up though.

July 2nd my bud Telly and I took a road trip out to exotic Cornwall to get some St. Hubert's Rotiserre Chicken (I know there's one left in Etobicoke, but that wasn't the point. It was all about the short road trip). This was the longest trip my Elantra has ever went on, and all in a day to. Roughly 4 hours there and about 4 hours back, with only one small 5 minute break during each drive. That is about the limit of how much I'd want to drive in a day.

We got our St. Hubert's food of course, which was great, but the best part was seeing the St. Lawrence River again. Being a small town, the river banks were pretty clear (undeveloped). On the Cornwall side, we were actually able to get right down to the bank and could have walked along a small little stream off to the side if we wished (and possibly along the bank itself. The current didn't look to bad on our end). The water, and even the air was so clean, so different from T.O. The short small town trip was really refreshing.

Oh, and I killed a duck or something on the way back. Just after we got back on the 401, what I think was a duck flew right into the front of my car and bounced off with it's neck at a strange angle. No damage to my vehicle, but I felt pretty bad for the bird.

On Sunday I saw War of the Worlds. Since it's still a new flick I won't post spoilers, but essentially it couldn't decide if it wanted to be an effects/disaster flick or a smaller, family drama and as such it failed on both counts. Some plot holes to. Not a bad flick, but nothing amazing either.

Throughout the week I ended up watching some great classics, including Alien: Director's Cut, Aliens: Special Edition, and good old Predator. I also picked up the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD and have watched both A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. The changes so far for the DVD edition are minor in respect to the 1997 Special Editions. Too bad they can't digital remove all the Ewoks and replace them with kick ass Wookies. Fuckin' care bears. Also watched The Lord of the Rings Extended Edition (watched its 3 parts on 3 seperate days), and it's still the most impresive flick I've ever seen as a whole on ever level. Simply amazing.

Also got a lot of shopping and other crap around the house done. Oh, and Telly and I played some great Halo 2 Slayer matches on the weekends. Gotta love the Energy Sword and damn that Battle Rifle.

Anyway, it's back to the grind tomorrow. This is Ripley, last surviving member of the Nostromo, signing off.

No comments: